1. Health criteria: Our priority is your safety. Because rafting is risky, physically demanding and requires a high level of fitness, we insist that our clients meet certain minimum health requirements. If you have a physical or mental disability, a known health problem or are significantly overweight, it is your responsibility to ask your doctor’s permission before registering for an activity with us. If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
2. Acceptance of risks: There are significant risks associated with rafting activities, our staff does everything possible to minimize them but they do exist and you must accept them before starting any activity with us. A liability waiver must be signed by each member of your group acknowledging the risks associated with rafting and your ability to perform the activity in accordance with your physical condition.
3. Cancellation for high risk: We reserve the right to cancel a participant’s participation in rafting activities without refund if that person represents too high a risk for the safe continuation of the activity. If you have any doubts, it is your responsibility to validate your condition with our staff before booking. A different activity will be offered to the person refused while the rest of the group is on the river.
4. Minimum age: The minimum age for participation in rafting activities depends on the river and the water flow. Minimum ages of 9 (Jatunyacu), 12 (Quijos Class III and Jondachi-Hollin, and 16 (Quijos Class IV and Pastaza) are generally required to participate in activities. The trip leader can always refuse a child who he/she considers unfit to participate safely in a rafting activity while offering an alternative activity while the rest of the group is on the river. In addition to the minor child’s signature, an adult must also sign the liability waiver and accompany the youth on the river.
5. Safety Equipment: Safety equipment (helmet and life jacket) must be worn in order to continue the activity. If the participant cannot wear this safety equipment properly (e.g., waist size is too large), he/she will not be able to participate in rafting activities. A different activity will be offered to the person refused while the rest of the group is on the river.
6. Participant Swimming Ability: At all times and on all rivers, the participant recognizes that there is a possibility of falling into the water and that he/she must be able to float and remain in the water in a safe and calm manner until the guide or another participant assists him/her back onto the boat.
7. Attire: Each participant is responsible for wearing comfortable and safe clothing for participation in rafting activities. Wetsuits will be offered ($) to participants who wish to wear them. A pair of waterproof running shoes or waterproof boots is required for rafting activities.
8. Allergies: It is the responsibility of each participant to inform the outfitter of any major allergies and to carry the necessary medication in case of problems.
9. Security Deposit: A reservation requires a minimum initial deposit of $250 per person. This deposit is non-refundable as it limits availability to other participants for the dates selected. If you need to cancel and you find replacement participants, we will gladly refund 90% of your deposit. Once you have paid your deposit, you have up to 30 days before the start of the activity to pay the remaining amount. Since this amount is non-refundable, please make sure that your travel insurance covers cancellations in the event that you are unable to enjoy your package for a medical or personal reason.
10. Full payment of the activity: If you decide to pay the full amount of the activity, you have up to 30 days before the activity to get a refund of 85% of the total amount. Since this amount is not refundable afterwards, make sure that your travel insurance covers cancellations in case you are unable to enjoy your package for medical or personal reasons.
11. Medical Insurance: Personal insurance covering participation in whitewater sports is mandatory to participate in our Whitewater Week packages and proof of this insurance coverage must be sent to the outfitter by email prior to the start of the activity.
12. Entry into Ecuador: It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure that they can legally enter Ecuador and that they meet the country’s requirements for visitors. Remember to check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your trip in Ecuador.
13. Cancellation of a package by the outfitter: If the outfitter has to cancel a multi-day adventure package for exceptional reasons (e.g., public health or disaster), a refund of the total amount will be made, except for credit card fees.
14. Cancellation of a rafting day by the outfitter: If the outfitter has to cancel a planned rafting day for an exceptional reason (e.g.: high water), he will try to modify the planned destination by changing the river if possible or he will offer a replacement activity of equivalent value to the participants if they so wish.